Monthly Archives: February, 2010

Pay for unused sick leave at retirement


Q: I am aware that there is some support to propose legislation this year to pay federal employees for unused sick leave by depositing the money into one’s TSP. Is there any further support for this and has anything been proposed in this arena? I believe Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., had said that he would introduce legislation to pay federal employees for unused sick and annual pay at retirement by having it deposited to your TSP. Do you have any current information in reference to this matter? A: I have found no evidence that Lynch did anything more than talk…

Locality pay and retirement


Q: I will be covered by the Civil Service Retirement System. I have been offered a position for which locality pay is in effect. Will this locality pay be incorporated in my annuity? A: Locality pay is considered to be a part of basic pay and will be used in the calculation of your annuity.

Buy back military time


Q: I received a medical retirement from active duty in the Army after serving 15 years. I am working as a YA-02 (GS-11 equivalent) and I was wondering if I could buy back my military time. I am no longer receiving retirement pay because my VA compensation is more than my retirement pay. I have been a civil servant (FERS) for almost 2 years and my probationary period is just about over. Would it be beneficial for me to buy back my military time? A: To get credit for you period of active duty service, you would need to make…

Creditable service


Q: Can you tell me how many years I have of Creditable Service? I am a FERS employee. I have also paid back about eight years of active duty Air Force. A: Write down the amount of time you have worked under FERS. Then write down the amount of active duty service for which you made a deposit. Add the two figures together and you’ll have the total amount of your creditable service.

CSRS and Social Security


Q. I will be fully eligible to retire in 2012. I am under CSRS. I also receive Social Security notices about how much SSN I will receive at Social Security age. Will I be able to receive both? A. You will receive your full CSRS annuity. However, the amount of Social Security benefit you’ll get will be affected by the windfall elimination provision of law. The WEP reduces the Social Security benefit of anyone who receives an annuity from a retirement system where he or she didn’t pay Social Security taxes, such as CSRS, and has fewer than 30 years…

CSRS & FERS Postponed & FEHBP


Q. Thank you for the informative article on “Making Sense of 2 Types of Annuities.” I am a CSRS employee planning to retire in 2011 (at 57/32+). Our Self & Family FEHBP is and has been under my name since 1980 with out-of-pocket medical bills reimbursed via our FSA. My wife, born in 1956, is a FERS employee planning to retire in 2014 (at 58/10) under the MRA+10 provision. We wish to continue to utilize our FSA when I retire by moving our Self & Family FEHBP coverage under my wife’s name until she retires. But as I understand from…

MRA retirement under FERS


Q. I know that federal employees under FERS who have 30+ years of service at the minimum retirement age (MRA) are eligible to retire and receive an immediate annuity as well as the Social Security supplement until they reach eligibility for Social Security under normal circumstances. My question is: Who is actually paying this supplement? A. The purpose of the special retirement supplement is to provide a bridge between retirement and when a retiree first becomes eligible for a Social Security benefit. The SRS is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. The amount needed to cover…

Combining retirements


Q. I retired from the Air Force after 23 years and have been receiving retired pay since 1996. I’ve been working under FERS now since January 1999 and hope to retire at age 59 in 2014 under the MRA+10 provision. Someone recently told me I would have the option to somehow combine the two retirements into one. He stated that for some people it means more money and for some less, so it has to be weighted individually. Are you aware of any such option and are their any issues to be wary about? A. You can get credit for…

CSRS retirement


Q. I am a CSRS employee who will have 40 years of government service in mid-April 2010 at age 63. When would it be in my best interest to retire to obtain the 80 percent annuity? Whatever that date may be, would I then be entitled to the next full cost-of-living increase? A. To receive an annuity worth 80 percent of your high-3, you’d need to have 41 years an 11 months of creditable service and owe no deposits or redeposits to the retirement fund. If you worked longer than that, any retirement contributions you made to the retirement fund…

SES and retirement


Q. What office does a Senior Executive Service employee apply to for retirement and where is the pay office located for SES personnel? Is it a different office than a regular CSRS employee who deals with the Office of Personnel Management? A. Senior Executive Service employees are no different from other employees when it comes to retirement. They fill out the same paperwork and submit it to their servicing personnel office. Once retired, their annuity, like that of other employees, is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, which is maintained by the Department of the Treasury…

1 2 3 7