Military retirement pay


Q: My husband is a Marine Reservist and is working on retiring from the military. He may take a federal government job. Will he be able to receive his military and government retirement? I wouldn’t want him to take the government job and lose the military retirement he has worked so hard for.

A: Your husband would be able to continue receiving his military retired pay and any annuity he earned based on time spent in a civilian job. If he wished to do so, he could make a deposit for that period of active duty military service in determining his eligibility to retire from a civilian job and in his annuity computation. In exchange for that credit, he would have to waive his military retired pay when he retired from the government.

— Reg Jones


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply