Special category retirement


Q: I retired in May at age 57 with about 24 years under 6(c) coverage in the Federal Employees Retirement System. Do I get a cost-of-living adjustment in January?

A: As a special category retiree, you will be eligible a portion of the FERS COLA in January. The amount will depend on when you were actually on the annuity roll. If it was in May, you’ll receive 7/12 of the COLA; if in June, 1/2.

— Reg Jones


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply