Buyouts and Social Security supplements


Q: My agency is considering offering buyouts. I am over 50 and have 26 years of government service. Typically, government buyouts are extended to those who have at least 25 years of service and are at least 50 years old. If I go to full retirement at 30 years of service, I would retire with a special federal Social Security supplement until I reach the age of 62, at which time the special supplement would end. If I accept a buyout, would I still get the special Social Security supplement with my federal retirement?

A: If you accepted the buyout, you would be eligible for the special retirement supplement beginning at your minimum retirement age. MRAs range from 55 to 57, depending on your year of birth. Because you were born between 1953 and 1964, your MRA would be 56.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply