Tax exemptions and disability


Q: Do I have to pay taxes on my disability annuity if I am totally disabled and unable to perform any work at any job? Is this information shown on my 1009-D/R?

A: There isn’t any federal tax exemption unless you are totally disabled for all gainful employment. Since that is not a determination that can be made by the Office of Personnel Management, you’ll need to check with the IRS to learn if you qualify. Check with your local IRS office or go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply