Resigned from Civil Service


Q. In 2005, I resigned from my position as a civil servant. At the time I was 51 and had 24 years of service. It was not explained to me that I could retire and defer. I am now 55, and since I am under 30 years of service still could not withdraw without a penalty. Do I have any options in order to still receive a retirement that I earned via 24 years of service?

A. As a FERS employee with at least 10 years of service, the earliest age at which you could have retired was 56, your minimum retirement age. Because you have at least 20 years of service but fewer than 30, you’ll be able to apply for a deferred annuity at age 60. That annuity will be based on your highest three years of average salary and your total years and full months of service on the date you left government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply