Miltary retirement offset


Q: I am a retired regular army officer. If I accept a GS position with Homeland Security will I forfeit some of my retirement?

A: Only if you choose to do so. By that I mean, you have the opportunity to make a deposit to the civilian retirement system and get credit for that period of active duty service in determining your years of civilian service and in your annuity computation. At retirement, you would be required to waive your entitlement to military retired pay. If you chose not to make a deposit and waive your military retired pay, your eligibility to retire from your civilian job and your annuity computation would be based solely on your civilian service. The choice is yours to make.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply