Employee of a U.S. territory


Q. I was an employed physician working alongside comission corp officers at the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands Hospital in Saipan beginning in March 1989 through June 1991. I am now a federal employee with the Indian Health Service. Would my overseas time count as creditable service?

A. It would only be creditable if retirement contributions were taken from your pay. If they weren’t, that time isn’t creditable for any retirement purpose.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply