Special Retirement Supplement


Q. If retiring under FERS under the age of 62, is one obligated to take the Special Retirement Supplement if you anticipate having another nongovernment job that will earn a relatively high salary?

A. The Special Retirement Supplement is automatically added on to an earned annuity. I’m not aware of any way you could decline to receive it, not that I can think of any reason why you’d want to do so. All that happens if you exceed the Social Security earnings limit is that your SRS is reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn above the limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply