Transfer of CSRS time


Q. I am a postal employee with 27 years of service. My retirement plan is CSRS. Can I transfer to another branch of the government and transfer this time with me? Will it count toward my civil service retirement?

A. Yes, if you transfer to another government agency your service record will transfer with you and that time will count toward the total years needed to retire. A rare exception to that rule would be if you were to transfer to an agency that had its own retirement system and didn’t recognize your prior service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply