Deferred retirement


Q. I am a FERS employee and have been employed for 25 years with federal service. I am 50 years old. My minimum retirement age is 56. If I choose to take deferred retirement now, at what age will I begin receiving an annuity? How will my annuity be calculated?

A. You can’t elect to take a deferred retirement now. You can resign from the government and apply for a deferred annuity at a later date. Because you have at least 20 years of creditable service, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 60.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply