Leaving federal service after 20 years


Q: I am a 45-year-old federal law enforcement officer with 20 years of 1811 service. If I separate from federal service, will I receive a federal annuity, Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan and survivor benefits when I reach the minimum retirement age (MRA)? If not, would I have to re-establish myself as an 1811 for a year and then “retire”?

A: If you leave government after completing 20 years of covered service, you can apply for an immediate, unreduced annuity when you reach your MRA. At that time, you’ll be eligible to receive the special retirement supplement that represents the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while employed under the Federal Employees Retirement System. You will also be able to elect a survivor annuity and re-enroll in the FEHBP.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply