No annuity recalculation


Q: I was employed by the Department of the Army in 1968 and retired with a disability annuity in 1974. I have never been restored to full capacity and I still receive my annuity of approximately $1,060 per month. I have worked in a part-time capacity at various jobs over the years and have earned 20 Social Security points. In December 2010, I will turn 62, and I understand that my annuity will be recalculated. I do not know my three highest years of earnings and do not fully understand how the annuity will be recalculated. I have looked at several sites but could not find a clear explanation of how this is to accomplished. I contacted the Office of Personnel Management about the calculation but did not receive any assistance. Where can I go to calculate my annuity? Should I expect a reduction or increase, and how can I find what my high-3 years of earnings are? I would also like to know if I have to file for early Social Security benefits, or can I wait until I am 65?

A: Because you are a former Civil Service Retirement System employee, your annuity won’t be recalculated at age 62. It will continue as before, increased by any annual cost-of-living adjustments that occur. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, you would need to have earned 40 credits. If you had those credits, you could apply for a benefit at any time without it affecting your CSRS disability annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply