FEHB and annuities


Q: I am covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System. I have six years of part-time service in and want to carry Federal Employee Health Benefits coverage for the last six years of federal service, which will give me a total of 12 years of federal employment. If I resign from federal employment after the 12 years, will I be able to pick up my FEHB coverage as well as collect my annuity at age 62?

A: No, you won’t. No one who applies for a deferred annuity is eligible to re-enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply