Retirement, Social Security and disability


Q: I was able to retire from federal service under discontinued service retirement and as a Federal Employees Retirement System annuitant. Therefore, I have been receiving the FERS supplement for Social Security. I will be 62 in September 2011. At that time, my FERS supplement ends and I will begin collecting Social Security retirement benefits.

I also have severe fibromyalgia and other health problems. Will I be able to apply for Social Security disability? I realize that I would have to make my disability case with Social Security. If I am still eligible to apply for disability, when should I begin my case application?

A: You may apply for disability benefits at any time. I suggest that you go to the Social Security Administration’s online disability insurance planner.

Share. Twitter Facebook Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

About Author

Leave A Reply