Buying back retirement time from Army job


Q: I am a federal firefighter (GS-081 series) covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System. I work for the National Park Service. My department is being abolished this year, with a local city department taking responsibility of fire supression. Reduction-in-force notices are coming out next month. I have 24 years and 8 months of federal firefighter service. Can I buy back retirement time from a nonappropriated fund Army job I held from January 1982 to October 1985, which I did not put into, and transfer it to my FERS retirement so I can retire with at least 25 years?

A: You’ll need to go to to see if you qualify for a waiver that would allow you to make a deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply