Credit for Peace Corps service


Q: I read post on credit for military service with great interest. As a former Peace Corps volunteer, what is the current status of that service relative to my current Federal service.

A: If you are covered by CSRS and your Peace Corps or VISTA service was performed before October 1, 1982, you’ll receive credit for that time (excluding training time) for both eligibility and annuity purposes. Whether you make a deposit for that time is optional. However, if it isn’t paid, your annuity would be reduced by 10 percent of the amount due, including accrued interest. On the other hand, if the service was performed on or after October 1, 1982, you have to make a deposit to get credit for that time. If you are covered by FERS, there isn’t an option. To get credit for your Peace Corps or VISTA service (excluding training time), you must make a deposit.


About Author

Leave A Reply