Q: Can you tell me which retirement plan should I have been in? I was temporarily employed by the federal government in 1983 but became a permanent employee in 1984. Shouldn’t I be under the Civil Service Retirement System? And not the Federal Employees Retirement System?

A: No, I can’t tell you. What I can tell you is this: If you had five years of creditable service under CSRS before Jan. 1, 1987, you would have been entitled to be covered by CSRS with the option of electing to be covered by FERS. Since the Office of Personnel Management has recently undertaken a major drive to have agencies recheck their records to see if there are any employees left on their rolls that are in the wrong retirement system, you need to raise your concerns with your servicing personnel office. They can take it from there.


About Author

Leave A Reply