Buying back time


Q: I have a one year time frame working for the Army in an overseas limited
position, paying FICA taxes, but not in a retirement system. Can this time be bought back for retirement purposes?

A: If you are currently covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System, the answer is no. If you are covered by Civil Service Retirement System, the answer is maybe. You’ll have to check with your agency’s personnel office to be certain.


About Author

Leave A Reply