Q: I am 58 with 34 years of service. I have 41 quarters of Social Security credits and my SSA annual statement says my benefit at 62 will be $538. What percent will my SSA benefit be reduced by my civil service monthly pension of $3,337? My friend at work claims that veterans who served between 1957 and 2001 get an extra $100 a month added to their Social Security benefit. Is this true?

A: The only practical way to estimate what the reduction in your Social Security benefit is to plug your numbers into a computer program and see what comes out. While the Social Security Administration has such a program, it is less user friendly that one at http://www.FEDbens.US.

To learn about special earnings for military service, go to http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/military.htm. There you’ll find out if you would qualify to have extra earnings credited to your Social Security account.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply