FERS and supplement


Q. I am a federal employee with 35 years of service.  I switched to FERS in 1987, and have been working continuously.  I am age 56 1/2, I have reached my MRA and would like to retire.  My spouse worked his entire life and contributed to Social Security, but now at age 60 has been disabled and is drawing Social Security disability.  My question regards the “special retirement supplement.”  When would I start receiving it,  and will it be reduced because of my spouse’s situation?

A. You’d receive the special retirement supplement concurrently with your annuity. It would approximate the Social Security benefit you earned while a FERS employee and wouldn’t be affected by any Social Security benefit your wife is receiving.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply