Redepositing retirement funds


Q: I have a total of about five 1/2 years of federal civil service but now work in the private sector. I served for about 18 months with the Small Business Association and then about four years at the Department of Homeland Security. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of taking my Small Business Association retirement contributions when I left that agency. I noticed in your article from Nov. 16 that you can redeposit amounts previously withdrawn to establish pension eligibility. By my calculation, I am entitled to a small federal pension based on five years of service beginning at age 62. That means I need to reinstate my Small Business Association time. How do I do this? Is there a form that I should use to submit payment or call someone?

A: You can only make a deposit to reclaim that period of service if you return to work for the federal government in a position that is subject to retirement deductions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply