DOD firefighter and Army Reserves


Q: I am getting ready to transition out of the army and I am doing some research on different careers. To make up for the time I need to transfer my GI benefits I plan on going into the Guard or reserves. Can I work as a DoD firefighter and be in the National Guard or reserves at the same time?

A: Yes, you can.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply