Break in service


Q: I am a civilian pharmacist in a term position with the Army. I plan on taking a permanent position with the Army within the next year. However, I would like to take two months off from the time I leave my current job to the time I start my new job. Will I retain my annual leave and sick leave that I have accrued or will this be forfeited due to the break in service?

A: Your sick leave balance would be reinstated when you are once again employed. However, any unused annual leave will be cashed out and paid to you in a lump sum when you leave.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply