Military service and retirement


Q: I am retired military and receiving retired military pay. I am a service academy graduate; that four years is not included in my military retirement. I just started working as a civil service employee. Can I receive creditable time for my four years at the academy for civil service retirement since it is not part of my military retirement pay?

A: You can if you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system for that time. Talk to someone in your personnel office to find out how to do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply