CSRS retirement with part-time regular service


Q. I will have worked for the Postal Service for 30 years as of Sept. 20. For approximately 10 1/2 years of that service, from 1993 to 2004, was PTR at 25 hours a week.  Now that I am reaching retirement age in 3 1/2 years, I can see that my annuity has been reduced more that I anticipated. Is there a way to deposit some money in a lump sum into CSRS to increase my annuity before retirement? Even trying to figure my true annuity has been a challenge.  Annuity estimates are based on 30 years full-time service.

A. You will only receive credit for your actual service. There isn’t any way for you to purchase additional service time by making a deposit to the retirement system.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply