Health care benefits


Q. My wife retired in 2008 after 35 years of service.  She had the federal health care insurance for 20 years.  After we were married, she chose to no longer carry the federal plan. For the past 20 years she has been covered through my employer’s insurance.  I was employed with the Baltimore City Fire Department for 33 years.  If I were to lose my health care insurance, is there any way that she could get coverage for herself through the federal plan?

A. No. The only way she could regain coverage under the Federal Employees Health Benefits program is to be employed by the federal government in a position that provided her with an opportunity to enroll.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply