Q. My father is 95 and retired in 1972 with survivorship left for my mom, if something should happen to him first.  My mom passed away in June 2010. Does my dad get any more money on his retirement check for not needing survivorship anymore?

A. Yes, his annuity will be restored to what it would have been before he elected a survivor annuity. The initial payment he receives will include back payments for the months following his wife’s death. Call 1-888-7677-6738 to begin the process. You’ll need to provide his full name, date of birth, CSA number, and Social Security number, if any.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply