Changing to disability retirement


Q. I  am a postal worker who took the VERA  along with the monetary incentive.  I would now like to change my retirement to a disability retirement due to a condition I have that started while I was still employed by the Postal Service.  Is this something I am able to do?

A. Yes, as long as it is within one year of the date that you retired.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply