CSRS offset


Q. In 1999 I applied for a refund from my CSRS retirement. I was told I was placed under the wrong retirement system for 15 years and should have been CSRS offset and consequently could not receive a lump sum refund under CSRS offset. When did they change the rules where you can not get a refund under CSRS offset?

A. If you applied for a refund of retirement contributions and were in CSRS but should have been in CSRS offset, OPM would have been required to refund only the CSRS offset deductions; in other words, the portion that would have gone to the  retirement fund. not the part that should have been sent to Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply