Leaving fed service prior to retirement


Q. I am 50 years old with 27 years of federal service.  I plan to leave federal service to take a job in the private sector in a few months. Will I still qualify for a federal retirement? If so, at what age?

A. If you leave your retirement contributions in the retirement fund, you would be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 60. That annuity would be based on your high-3 and years and full months of service on the day you left government. Note: As a deferred annuitant, you wouldn’t be eligible for the special retirement supplement, which approximates the Social Security benefit you earned while employed under FERS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply