Deposits for nondeduction service


Q: I’m under the Civil Service Retirement System and have a period of about one year of nondeduction service immediately prior to Oct. 1, 1982. I also have about a year of nondeduction service starting Oct. 1, 1982. Which would it make more sense to make a deposit for, the year prior to Oct. 1, 1982, or the year commencing on that date?

A: For nondeduction service performed before Oct. 1, 1982, you have the option of making a deposit and having your annuity reduced by 10 percent of the amount that would have been deducted from your salary plus accumulated interest. For service performed on or after Oct. 1, 1982, you must make a deposit. Which would be the better option for you is something you’ll have to decide for yourself. Regardless of which you choose, you’ll still get credit for all that nondeduction time in determining your length of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply