Husband's health plan will take over


Q: I am currently under workers’ comp from the Postal Service. My health insurance is through workers’ comp. My husband is a retired Postal Service employee with MVP family insurance. I would like to disability retire but I need to know that I can be added to my husband’s insurance effective immediately. I have been advised to cancel my workers’ comp health insurance first, then I can be picked up on his. This is very risky. Please advise.

A: If your husband is enrolled in the self and family option of his Federal Employees Health Benefits plan, you are already covered by it even though your medical expenses are currently being paid by OWCP. Once your period of workers’ compensation ends, any medical needs you have will be covered by his plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply