Time needed to draw retirement


Q: I am 70 years old. I was in the military for three years, from 1981 to 1984, then worked 2.5 years for the Army as a civilian. In 2009, I worked for a VA hospital for 16 months. While at the VA hospital, I bought in my military time. Do I have enough time to draw any retirement? Or, how much additional time would I need in the federal system?

A: If you had at least 20 years of service, you would have been eligible for a deferred retirement at age 60; if at least five years of service and fewer than 20, age 62. To apply for a deferred annuity, go to http://www.opm.gov/forms and download a copy of OPM Form 1486A (CSRS) or RI 92-19 (FERS). After filling it out, mail it to OPM, Retirement Services and Management Group, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply