Rehire annuitant


Q: I retired under DSR and would like to come back to work for the government as a part-time permanent employee. Can I receive my monthly annuity and not have my salary offset? Do I have the option not to elect FERS?

A: If you take a job with the federal government, your annuity will stop and you’ll be treated as if you were a regular employee. You’ll be employed under your old retirement system with the option of electing FERS. You won’t be able to retire again until you meet the age and service requirement to do so. At that time, your annuity will be computed as if you were retiring for the first time.


About Author

Leave A Reply