SRS and Social Security


Q: Does the SRS that I receive at MRA come out of my Social Security benefits? And, if so, would that mean my benefits at 62 would be reduced since I would have received a portion beforehand?

A: No. The special retirement supplement is designed to bridge the gap between the point when you start receiving it and age 62 when you are first eligible for a Social Security benefit. The SRS is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, not from the Social Security Trust Fund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply