Special retirement


Q: I am a firefighter and I spent 4.5 years as GS-7 —at least three of that in a primary position.  I have resigned to move to another state with my spouse. If I get back into an 0081 position, does the three years start over and have to be completed again before entering into a secondary position to remain in the special retirement?

A:  No, it doesn’t. You would be able to pick up where you left off.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply