Health insurance switch


Q: I could not find the answer to this question in your online FAQ. I am a retiree from the federal government receiving an annuity.  My husband and I are currently enrolled in the family option of BlueCross/Blue Shield. My husband has the option of free health coverage through his current employer (an association in the private sector). Our question is:  Can I take him off my BCBS plan and go to self only option while he enrolls with his employer?  But, at a later date, re-elect the family option so he can be covered again by my plan? We know you receive many questions and greatly appreciate your answer.

A: Yes, you could immediately change your enrollment from self only to self and family. It’s considered to be a Qualifying Life Event under code 2G, which permits a change in enrollment if your husband later loses coverage under his nonfederal health plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply