Overseas employees


Q: I am a DoD civilian stationed in Europe and receive the full benefits (housing, overseas post allowance, etc.). My wife transferred from a U.S. Government civilian agency in the states and continues to work for the same agency in Germany. She only receives the base salary and no other benefits. My question is is she entitled to receive overseas post allowance? Currently I receive the family post allowance rate but would gladly switch to the single rate for her to receive her overseas single rate post allowance as well (we have no dependents). Her agency says that they do not have to pay any type of additional benefits other than the base pay.

A: The State Department’s standardized regulations (DSSR) are the basis for allowances and differentials for civilians assigned to foreign areas. You should ask your wife to check her agency’s implementing regulations, which may be more restrictive than the DSSR.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply