Discontinued service retirement


Q: I have been affected by the National Reassessment Process by the Postal Service. I was sent home and told there is no longer work available for me within my restrictions after being accommodated for the past 11 years. Would I be eligible for discontinued service retirement, and how would I go about getting it? By the way, I am two months from turning 56 years old and I have 25+ years of service as a FERS employee.

A: You would only be eligible for discontinued service retirement if your agency sends you an official notice of intent to separate you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply