Special retirement supplement


Q: I am a federal law enforcement officer covered under FERS.  When I retire, I will be eligible to receive the SRS payment.  I understand that it will be subject to an earnings test once I reach age 57 (mandatory retirement).  I also understand that at age 62 the supplement will end, as I will then be eligible for Social Security.  My question is, if I continue to work once I retire from law enforcement and I make enough money annually to eliminate any SRS payment, is that money forfeited forever? Can I get back those “lost SRS payments” when I retire for good and begin to collect my Social Security payments?

A: No, you cannot “get back” those lost SRS payments. If you exceed the annual Social Security earnings limit in any year, you permanently forfeit that benefit.

About Author

Leave A Reply