CSRS withdrawal for home purchase


Q. Can I withdraw from my CSRS to make a home purchase?

A. If you are asking if you can withdraw some of the retirement contributions that have been deducted from your salary over the years that you have been employed by the federal government, the answer is no. The only way to get access to that money would be to resign from the government and ask for a refund of all your contributions. Of course, if you did that you would void any entitlement to future benefits.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply