Correcting your service computation date


Q: I transferred from the Veterans Affairs Department to the Defense Department and my service computation date was not carried over. How do I fix this?

A: You will have to put pressure on your new agency’s personnel office to obtain the necessary information to correct your records. While it will be sorted out in the long run, it’s better to settle the matter ASAP.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply