FERS retirement eligibility


Q: I worked as a civilian federal employee from July 2006 through December 2008. During that time, I bought back my three years of active-duty military service. Does this give me enough credited service to receive a retirement under the Federal Employees Retirement System?

A: No, it doesn’t. You’d have to have five years of creditable civilian service to be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply