Credit for military service


Q: I served four years in the Navy, and I am starting a government position in the new year. Will my four years of active duty count toward my GS retirement?

A: You won’t get any credit for that time unless you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system. When you report for duty, your first stop will be at the agency’s personnel office. Someone there can tell you how to find out how much you owe and how to go about making the deposit.


About Author

1 Comment

  1. Remember, Your amount to be repaid may look overwelming but don’t let that stop you. You can simply do payments. Get started and pay it off so the interest doesn’t pile up against you later on. You will be very glad you did years later.

Leave A Reply