Excess and VERA


Q: I am a Postal employee with 25+ years under FERS. Can I take the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority if I am excessed?

A: The VERA applies only when OPM has granted an agency permission to offer early retirement. However, if no such authority has been granted to your agency, but you receive an official notice that you will be separated from your position, and there is no other job at the same grade or pay in your commuting area, you would be eligible for a discontinued service retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply