CSRS-Social Security offset


Q: I retired from the federal government on 12/31/2010 (at age 74) under the CSRS annuity plan. For many years, I also received Social Security benefits. I know there is an “offset” provision and my SS benefit will be reduced substantially. My question is: Will OPM notify SSA of my retirement automatically? Or do I have to tell SSA of my retirement?

A: You don’t have to do anything. OPM and the Social Security Administration routinely do computer matches to identify retirees whose work histories require that their Social Security benefits be reduced.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply