Special Retirement Supplement


Q: I am a FERS employee. Which dollar amount or line from the Social Security benefit estimate should be used when doing an estimate for expected Special Retirement Supplement when retiring under age 62?

A: The special retirement supplement is based solely on the Social Security benefit you earned while employed under FERS. To estimate what the amount would be, take the Social Security benefit estimate provided to you by the Social Security Administration, multiply it by your years of FERS service rounded up to the next higher year, and divide the product by 40.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply