Buyback from CSRS


Q: I resigned my permanent position from Indian Health Service in 1992 because of an illness. When I resigned, I was 42 and withdrew my retirement, which was about $18,000. My SCD was Oct. 4, 1974. I came onboard with IHS in February 1995 and chose to be under FERS. I am still working and just turned 61 on Dec. 13, 2010. I am vested under the TSP funds and I am applying to catch-up borrowed money under this savings. Can I buy back the CSRS retirement money?

A: Yes, you can make a deposit equal to what you withdrew plus accrued interest to get credit for that time in determining your length of service and in your annuity computation. If you do, when you retire you will have an annuity composed of two parts, a CSRS component computed under CSRS rules and a FERS component computed under FERS rules.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply