FERS Technician and military buyback refund


Q: I am a FERS dual status technician with the Air National Guard. I completed my active duty Title 10 military buyback (three years, seven months) to receive retirement credit under FERS. Is it possible to apply for a refund of the military buyback time and not receive credit under the FERS retirement system?

A: You can only get a refund of your retirement contributions if you leave government and apply for a refund of all your retirement contributions and deposits, thus voiding your entitlement to an annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply